Nursery Activity Idea #250 - Making A Sensory Treasure Basket
This simple and fun sensory activity can easily be adapted to make it suitable for children of all ages.
You will need:
- Wicker baskets
- Lengths of different material
- Wooden Spoons
- Metal Containers
- Varying size linked chains
- Straw baskets
- Coconut shell
- Any other natural seasonal objects such as leaves, acorns, fur cones, conkers, etc.
Depending on the age of the children place all the suitable materials into the wicker baskets and allow the children to pull them out exploring the textures, smells etc.
Older children can talk about the objects, what they feel like, look or smell like. Also discuss what they are made of or where they can be found. If possible take the older children on a nature walk and gather leaves, conkers, fur cones and acorns etc to put into the treasure baskets so that they are able to understand where these objects come from.
Areas of learning covered:
- Knowledge and Understanding of the World
- Personal and Social development
- Language, Literacy and Communication skills
What do you think of this activity? Let us know by leaving a quick comment.