This is a fun indoor or outdoor activity for older children to encourage them to work, problem solve and communicate together as part of a team.
You will need:
- A variety of large sheets, blankets or a play parachute for example
- Chairs and tables
- Clothes airers or other indoor objects
- Picnic tables or other larger outdoor objects
- Boxes of varying shapes and sizes.
Provide the children with a wide range of objects and materials to build a tent, also encourage them to choose their own. Encourage the children to communicate and work together to build their tent and to solve any problems that may occur.
Once they have completed their tent the children can use it for their imaginative play. The tent could also be used as an alternative to a home corner, or a quiet story corner. This activity can be used outdoors in the summer, to provide an extra shaded play area.
This activity can also be enjoyed by babies and young children if it is prepared before hand, and again can provide added shade in the garden for play or a picnic for example.
Areas of learning covered:
- Language, Literacy and Communication skills
- Physical development
- Personal and Social development
- Creative development